CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Incredible India!!

Hey ya'll,
I have safely arrived to India. Yesterday we docked in Chennai and received a grand welcome with a band and individual flowers and painting of the saffron on the foreheads (for everyone from TSS). It was quite beautiful (but, yes, hot.) Then Ryan and I ran to get a taxi to the airport, since our docking time was delayed about 4 hours. We made our flight just fine (even after all the immigration delays on the ship-the Indian immigration was slow and disorganized, but also very concerned about the students leaving the port etc. it was quite a mess!).

So we got to Kolkata (once known as Calcutta) and found a taxi to the area where we wanted to stay. Man, I have never been so glad in my life to be with a boy. The streets of India at night do not appear friendly. Everywhere is pretty dark and there are men everywhere. (Ryan and I counted today and in general, on the streets, the ratio of men to women is about 20 to 1-needless to say I get many stares). I have been wearing a pashmina over myself (as Indian culture/dress is very conservative but I still stick out like a sore thumb). One guy asked to take my picture on his phone today-ha. And we are also a target for children and many sick and elderly people approach us on the streets.

Mainly, I cannot express what India is like. No picture can capture the daily life of the people here. It must be experienced. I have only taken a few pictures today because as we were told before coming to India, the things and people you see here are not a tourist attraction, they are a way of life. However, I have met some of the nicest people today. A Bangladeshi man helped us buy a phone, today Ryan got to play cricket with some Indian men/boys in the street, and we chatted while shopping with an educated Indian student about his travels and experiences. (we have already been cheated by several taxis but my experiences still remain positive overall with the rest of the people).

But a brief description about Kolkata. There are basically no laws for driving, other than stopping at lights. If you want to drive down the other side of the street, go for it, just hold on and hope to come out ahead! Rickshaws (motorized and pulled by men) are common and also taxis that look like they are from the 1940's. It is hard to find quiet as the cars are constantly honking and it is just such a different atmosphere than any country I have ever seen. People sleep anywhere and everywhere and poverty is rampant. Trash can be deposited anywhere (and is) and it is not uncommon to see children going to the bathroom in the streets. There is also running water along the streets, so you will see whole families both bathing and washing their clothes in the streets. It has all been quite humbling and it is only my first day.

We went to find ways to volunteer today (with Christian churches) but it is hard to volunteer for just one day. We did get to see Mother Theresa's charity and where she is buried. She was an amazing woman indeed. We also went to a flower market (you cannot believe the sights and smells). O and we went to a shop that takes women out of prostitution to make bags out of jute that are then sold around the world. We were given a private tour by the people that run it and got to see the women working. It really was amazing as all the women get equal pay and fair hours etc., and are taken out of a life of prostitution. (the area is very famous for brothels and apparently we were near the area that has about 6,000 women prostitutes.) It was a great thing to see and I was able to buy some of their products (the bags) to support the good thing they are doing. Their website is freesetbags.com if anyone wants to learn more or buy them!

It has been a good day and I have seen and heard more than probably most of my life here on the streets today.

And we had a great Indian lunch with nan and chicken masala-but the real deal! We will be heading to dinner soon. O by the way the time zone is different here too, but it only changed 30 MINUTES from Bangkok (I never knew that there were minute time zones!) I think tonight we are going to check out the nightlife in Kolkata (Lonely Planet claims there is some, but I have no expectations lol) hopefully tomorrow we can find some volunteer work or something else cool to do before I head to Delhi/Agra to see the Taj Mahal.

I will try and post pics tomorrow on facebook since i forgot my flash drive today! Hope you enjoyed!O and Susan (the 2nd of my 6 best friends) is also engaged and is getting married on April 26th! Congrats also!

Love,
Kasee

0 comments: